Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Hello


For a long time, I’ve meant to start writing a blog again, but I keep waiting for better timing. I convince myself that I need longer periods of extended, undisturbed silence if I’m going to write anything.

In summer, there’s too much fun family stuff going on to allow me sufficient time to focus, and on workday mornings I am plagued by the incessant ticking of the clock as it counts down my departure time. I keep waiting for a perfect—or even comfortable—writing scenario to materialize before I get started. 

But I think I have finally accepted that this isn’t going to happen. My life isn’t the way it used to be, and if I want to do this blog, then I am going to have to adjust to a new reality. So here I am, adjusting.

Today, I’m four hours from home, in the big city, sitting at my daughter’s dining room table with my bright, curious, exuberant granddaughter sitting across from me. (And I’m super happy that I’ll be doing this for most of the summer!) At the moment, she and I are both focused on writing in our different ways—me on this laptop and she in her planner-journal.

It’s quiet now, but I’m distracted by the certain knowledge that I will be interrupted again and again by the rhythmic tapping of her pencil on the table, by her feet kicking the chair, and by her incessant, cheerful questions and ideas. And I wouldn’t want it any other way. 

It’s a beautiful morning. The sky is clear blue, the sun is shining, and a cold wind isn’t howling ferociously out of the north like it would be if I was back home on the coast. I’m sipping coffee and enjoying this pleasant morning with a granddaughter I love. I am so happy to be able to be here for these weeks that I will gladly accept whatever distractions this brings!

The fact is that I’m just going to have to buckle down and start this blog even while the circumstances for typing out coherent thoughts don’t meet my ideal criteria. I think I’ve finally realized that If I don’t do it now, it will never happen. A lot of life is like that.


So, here I go.

7 comments:

  1. Meandering over from your other blog. It is strange how hard it can be to start writing again, but hopefully it will feel more natural soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thia. When I return home in a few weeks and am back in my usual routine, I'm sure it will get better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friend! After soooo long! I wandered into a section on my feedly where I keep blogs of "quiet friends," a tab I hadn't looked at in a while, and lo and behold, there you were, writing again. I did a little happy dance. Lovely to reconnect and looking forward to reading in the weeks and months ahead. I expect lots has happened in your life these last few years, as it has in mine. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Beth! I just traveled over to your blog the other day but got off quickly before I had time to comment! I don't have internet in my home, so while I'm here at my daughter's house for the summer, I've been getting around to visit some of my favorite people when I have extra time. It is so good to see you here, and it was fun to do a little bit of catching up at your blog. So good to see you! Thanks for saying hello. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a surprise and joy to see you back to blogging, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend told me you were blogging again, what a happy surprise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello again, Janet! It's so good to see you here!

    And, Michele, I'm really glad you found out about this, too. You are a sweetie, and I am glad you said hello! :)

    ReplyDelete