Saturday, July 29, 2017

What's Up With Me, You Ask?

Lupines and me on Mount Shasta, 2016.

So. Several of you have emailed me and asked about what I’ve been up to for the past several years. You’re wondering where I’ve been and where I am now and if I ever became a counselor like I planned.

Ha. Does life ever go as planned?! Not for me, it doesn’t. I’m not where I thought I’d be, but I’m right where I believe I’m supposed to be. For now, anyway. I’m content to stay where I am, but I’m always up for a new adventure at the same time! The Lord knows what’s up. I don’t.

Can I get any vaguer than that?! Over time, I’ll definitely be sharing stories from my life, and you’ll  get a clearer picture of my current status.

I’ve learned good things in the past several years, both because of my own silliness and because the Lord has gently led me to new places and into new experiences. Out of necessity, He helped me establish a new type of daily life. I’ve had to recalibrate my vision and adjust the way I think about my “calling” in life (even though it hasn’t changed). I am still working on this one, but I’m excited about recent lessons and insights I’ve gleaned.

I’ve learned how to establish a good mindset and daily rhythm so that I can maintain motivation and minimize—even eradicate—fatigue (both mental and physical) throughout my demanding workdays.

I’ve learned to live with less, found ways to make it more, and am entirely content with my life situation. I’ve had inner struggles and have gained insights that are helping me to overcome them. (This has been super-motivating for me!) I’ve had new adventures and have done lots of interesting things.

When I return home from Portland in the middle of August, I have a list of plans and projects to tackle. Before agreeing to babysit my granddaughter this summer, I had intended to paint every wall in my apartment and do a completely decluttering, reorganizing, and restyling project. Now, my goal is to see how much I can do in the short time I will have left before I go back to work in September. And I can always keep working on it through September and even October when I return home from work in the late afternoon. I’m motivated, so that shouldn’t be draining.

The other thing I want to do when I return home is to organize my life for fall and winter—my plans, projects, and activities. One of these projects will be to set up my blog. Right now, my template (and the blog name) are temporary. It might seem silly that I started this before I was totally ready and when I don’t have much time to give to it, but I needed to get things rolling now or I knew I would return home, get busy, and continue to put it off endlessly. Now that I’m started, I will keep going. That’s how I am. The first step is the hardest.

There will be a lot of changes in the look and trajectory of this blog when I get it set up. I have some planned blog features I want to do down the road. Things that I think will be fun and, hopefully, inspiring. More on this later.

Thanks for your sweet notes to me. I’ve missed you and look forward to getting this thing moving in the direction I hope to take it.

Blessings to you this weekend,
Susan

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like there are rough times behind you. It is good to share those stories. Life is not going how I planned either. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Thia, there are rough times behind all of us, right? And we all have lessons to learn. But there have been far, far more good times left in my wake. I've been very happy because God has been very good to me! Don't you think that when things don't go like we think they will, that God's plan is better? He loves us and is so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still in the middle of some rough times, still waiting to see the better. So...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry it is hard for you, Thia. I pray you will have wisdom and strength and that God will be your Joy in the midst of the struggle. Prayers for you, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I happened upon your new blog today! So glad you came back. I missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad, too. It's so good to see you, Judi!

    ReplyDelete